Home » News (2019)
Category Archives: News (2019)
The full Draft red Hill Integrated Plan was released for public comment on 13/11/19 by the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate (EPSDD). Comments should be provided by 4 December 2019 to email@example.com
The draft plan considers four possible options for the context area and identifies a preferred option which includes the following recommendations (refer to the map in the attached document for further detail):
- Retaining open space which adjoins and links to the Red Hill Nature Reserve, preserving the ecological values of the area.
- Implementing buffers around the Federal Golf Course and associated development.
- Managing the Red Hill Nature Reserve in line with the Plan of Management for the Canberra Nature Park and the National Capital Plan.
- Identification of proposed upgrading to a number of roads and intersections to cater to the current traffic volume of the roads and prepare for future growth and capacity.
- Retaining residential zones adjoining the Nature Reserve.
- Expanding the Deakin Office Park (rezoning Deakin Section 66) to partly include further urban open space and commercial use.
- Increasing housing choice particularly for the ageing population through the development of a retirement village, to be located in the southern portion of the Federal Golf Course with access via Kitchener Street
For our mid month work activity we plan to lend a hand to our Hughes neighbours on the surprisingly large piece of bushland next to Carruthers Street, between Kent Street and Yarra Glen. On this bushland are a host of small cootamundra wattle plants, which will be easier to remove now rather than when they mature. As a byproduct, the cootamundra cuttings will be available for protecting our recent plantings. It’s a win-win!
Time: Wednesday 13 November 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230 (more…)
The weather forecast for Sunday predicts rain, which will be great for our plantings – but forecasts have not been great recently, so we’ll plan for a rain free morning. This month we will meet at the top of Brereton Street, Garran to do some woody weed removal along this side of the Hill. Morning tea will enable members to update on the latest news about the golf club development proposal, and to visit the part of the golf course where the ACT Government has earmarked for this development. Don’t forget that on Saturday 2 November 2019, Dr Michael Mulvaney will be conducting a nature walk. Check out the website for times and meeting place.
Time: Sunday 3 November 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230 (more…)
You are invited to join the Red Hill Regenerators for a Nature Walk on Red Hill. The walk will be led by Dr Michael Mulvaney, who will provide a wide range of information about all aspects of the Red Hill ecology. The walk will take about one hour and is suitable for all ages. Walking conditions will be uneven and steep in places.
Date: Saturday 2 November 2019, 10.30am
Meeting place: Park on Mugga Way, Red Hill at the intersection with Zeehan Street
What to bring: Wear a hat, sunscreen, enclosed shoes, protection for arms and legs. Bring water
On Friday 18 October 2019, The Regenerators hosted 60 year 4 students and their teachers from Canberra Girls Grammar School to visit Red Hill and participate in environmental activities. The students were divided into three groups and rotated through three activities – chipping out horehound weeds, planting and watering 60 shrubs and understory plants, and taking a nature walk led by ecologist Dr Michael Mulvaney. The students were attentive, engaged and focussed on the activities and enjoyed the morning.
While we have been working on the west side of Red Hill, the weeds, and verbascum in particular, have been popping up in their favourite locations on the other side. So on Wednesday we will chip or spray verbascum before they develop flower spikes.
Time: Wednesday 16 October 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230 (more…)
We’ve been pulling out Horehound plants from the ‘great Horehound patch’ for a few previous work activities, but, as the politicians love to say “but there is much more to do.” So for this month’s activity we are returning to the ‘patch’ one more time.
Time: Sunday 6 October 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230 (more…)
The Draft Map and Proposed recommendations for the Integrated Plan for Red Hill Nature Reserve and surrounds, dated 12 September 2019, was released for public comment on 23 September 2019.
While the ACT Government has not provided a date when comments have to be received, comments should be provided before December 2019.
More information here…
The long awaited Canberra Nature Park Management Plan was released on 23 September 2019, in draft form for community comment. Comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 16 December 2019.
- Draft Canberra Nature Park Management Plan (12Mb PDF)
- Summary of Draft Canberra Nature Park Management Plan (2Mb PDF)
Information sessions will be held in four Canberra locations between 22 October and 13 November 2019. More…