The 2019 plantings have now been watered and so now it is time to water some of the trees and shrubs which were planted in the last two years, and which still need some watering when the level of rainfall is so low. In addition to watering, there will be plenty of opportunities to cut and dab weeds around the Hill.
Time: Wednesday 18 September 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230
Location: We will meet at the water cube on the ridge midway between Davidsons Trig and the south end of the Reserve, which can be accessed by car via the Rusden Street, Garran gate, or on foot from either side of the Hill. If you need a lift, or want to take your car up to the water cube, meet at the Rusden St gate at 8.45am. The gates will be left unlocked for those who arrive later (ensure that the gates are closed but not locked behind you).
- Watering the new plantings
- Cut and dab any other woody weeds in this part of the Reserve.
- map rabbit warrens
Conditions: sloping with mostly open woodland
You bring: Water to drink, hat, gloves, long sleeved shirt, long pants, eye protection, sunscreen cream, solid enclosed shoes. BYO morning tea.
We bring: Tools, herbicide dabbers, some buckets and instructions.
Note: It is important that you attend the safety and activity briefing at 0900. Children under 15 years must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian. Individuals who are under 18 years must have parental or guardian consent.
Cancellation: The activity will be cancelled by email (if possible) if rain/wind is forecast which could make planned work potentially hazardous, or high temperatures before midday are forecast. NOTE: In addition to the monthly work activities, other events of interest for your diary include a Wildflower/wildlife Walk (2 November 2019) and a Butterfly Walk (30 November 2019).
Other 2019 activities scheduled for your diary are:
- Sunday 6 October 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Wednesday 16 October 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Saturday 2 November 2019. Wildflower and wildlife walk led by ecologist Dr Michael Mulvaney. What Michael doesn’t know about Red Hill is not worth knowing.
- Sunday 3 November 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Wednesday 13 November 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Saturday 30 November 2019 10.00am. Butterfly Walk led by Dr Suzi Bond, butterfly expert and author of “Field Guide to Butterflies of the ACT”
- Sunday 1 December 2019 08.00amWorking bee and AGM
- Wednesday 11 December 2019 08.00am Working Bee