We’ve been pulling out Horehound plants from the ‘great Horehound patch’ for a few previous work activities, but, as the politicians love to say “but there is much more to do.” So for this month’s activity we are returning to the ‘patch’ one more time.
Time: Sunday 6 October 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230
Location: Meet at the water cube close to the new plantings on Red Hill. The nearest parking is Glasgow Place, Hughes (100m from the water cube) or the Telstra Building car park accessed from Kent Street (200m)
- Pulling/chipping Horehound plants
- Cut and dab any other woody weeds in this part of the Reserve.
Conditions: sloping with mostly open woodland
You bring: Water to drink, hat, gloves, long sleeved shirt, long pants, eye protection, sunscreen cream, solid enclosed shoes. BYO morning tea.
We bring: Tools, including mattocks, herbicide dabbers, and instructions.
Note: It is important that you attend the safety and activity briefing at 0900. Children under 15 years must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian. Individuals who are under 18 years must have parental or guardian consent.
Cancellation: The activity will be cancelled by email (if possible) if rain/wind is forecast which could make planned work potentially hazardous, or high temperatures before midday are forecast. NOTE: In addition to the monthly work activities, other events of interest for your diary include a Wildflower/wildlife Walk (2 November 2019) and a Butterfly Walk (30 November 2019).
Other 2019 activities scheduled for your diary are:
- Wednesday 16 October 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Saturday 2 November 2019. Wildflower and wildlife walk led by ecologist Dr Michael Mulvaney. What Michael doesn’t know about Red Hill is not worth knowing.
- Sunday 3 November 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Wednesday 13 November 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Saturday 30 November 2019 10.00am. Butterfly Walk led by Dr Suzi Bond, butterfly expert and author of “Field Guide to Butterflies of the ACT”
- Sunday 1 December 2019 08.00amWorking bee and AGM
- Wednesday 11 December 2019 08.00am Working Bee