While we have been working on the west side of Red Hill, the weeds, and verbascum in particular, have been popping up in their favourite locations on the other side. So on Wednesday we will chip or spray verbascum before they develop flower spikes.
Time: Wednesday 16 October 2019 Work: 0900 to 1230
Location: Meet at the Mugga Way car park.
- chipping or spraying verbascum plants
- Cut and dab any other woody weeds in this part of the Reserve.
- Map rabbit warrens
Conditions: sloping with mostly open woodland. Steep and rocky towards the ridge.
You bring: Water to drink, hat, gloves, long sleeved shirt, long pants, eye protection, sunscreen cream, solid enclosed shoes. BYO morning tea.
We bring: Tools, including mattocks, herbicide dabbers, spray packs and instructions.
Note: It is important that you attend the safety and activity briefing at 0900. Children under 15 years must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian. Individuals who are under 18 years must have parental or guardian consent.
Cancellation: The activity will be cancelled by email (if possible) if rain/wind is forecast which could make planned work potentially hazardous, or high temperatures before midday are forecast. NOTE: In addition to the monthly work activities, other events of interest for your diary include a Wildflower/wildlife Walk (2 November 2019) and a Butterfly Walk (30 November 2019). NOTE: The Regenerators have agreed to assist a group of 60 Year 4 Canberra Girls Grammar students to plant shrubs, water existing plants and pull horehound on Friday 18 October 2019. Regenerator volunteers are invited to attend at 9.15am, at the Garran water cube, to assist the teachers with these tasks. You will not need a ‘working with vulnerable people’ certificate.
Other 2019 activities scheduled for your diary are:
- Saturday 2 November 2019. Wildflower and wildlife walk led by ecologist Dr Michael Mulvaney. What Michael doesn’t know about Red Hill is not worth knowing.
- Sunday 3 November 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Wednesday 13 November 2019 09.00amWorking bee
- Saturday 30 November 2019 10.00am. Butterfly Walk led by Dr Suzi Bond, butterfly expert and author of “Field Guide to Butterflies of the ACT”
- Sunday 1 December 2019 08.00amWorking bee and AGM
- Wednesday 11 December 2019 08.00am Working Bee